The U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI) are known for their beautiful beaches, clear waters, and amazing sights. The islands also have a rich history and culture, which is reflected in their architecture, cuisine, and music. Located about 1,000 miles southeast of Miami, Florida, the USVI are a stunning and diverse group of islands that offer something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing beach vacation, an adventurous outdoor getaway, or a cultural experience, the USVI have it all. They are also an easy and gorgeous sail to the British Virgin Islands (BVI), the Spanish Virgin Islands (SVIs), and St. Croix making them a perfect starting point for island hopping and check off many bucket list destinations.
Plan Your Island Getaway With Waypoints USVI
While you are planning your next adventure, here are a few must-know facts that can make your trip to the USVI that much better:
- It’s easy to get to the USVI. With direct flights from many U.S. hubs or one connection flight from most of the United States, getting to the Caribbean to start your USVI yacht charter is so simple. This provides you with more time sailing and less time traveling
- It’s a quick turn-around to actually set sail. Once you land, you can get from baggage claim to the Frenchtown Marina, where Waypoints USVI is located in 15 minutes. Go from the airport to the anchorage in about two hours or less!
- You can sleep aboard your yacht at our base marina before your charter begins. When you reserve your charter, make sure to ask for a sleep aboard the night before you set sail. Spend your first night relaxing on your boat instead of at a hotel, waiting for a ferry or connecting flight.
- Customs fees and ferry fees come out to about the same cost. The average cost of the cruising fees for USVI-based boats comes out to about the same amount of money you would spend on ferries or connecting flights into Tortola in the BVI. It’s much easier to fly into the USVI and sail to the BVI than the other way around.
- St. John (USVI) is the crown jewel of the Caribbean and a must-see. It’s located between St. Thomas and the BVI. Two-thirds of the island and the majority of the beaches and anchorages in St. John are unspoiled. Take in thousands of acres of scenic beauty in the National Park. Enjoy snorkeling, hiking, and liming (read: hanging out or enjoying the scene). It’s your own personal paradise.
- Our charter guests can sail between the USVI and BVI with ease. While other charter companies may be restricted from traveling between the USVI and the BVI, most Waypoints USVI yachts are licensed to travel freely to BVI. Plus, we’re offering charter guests 3 nights free when they book 7 nights in the USVI and BVI [now – June 2023], making it the perfect time to visit both of these luxury destinations.
- We’ve made customs convenient when arriving in the BVI. Traveling to the BVI couldn’t be simpler when chartering with Waypoints. The first step in the customs process is to set up an account with Sail Clear online. You must enter the boat and crew information online before arriving at the BVls. When you arrive at the BVl, you will clear either at Soper’s Hole or Jost VanDyke, and go directly to Customs and Immigration. After getting your fill of the gorgeous BVI, before you head back to the USVI, you must go back to Customs and clear out. This can be done at any customs office up to 24 hours prior to your departure. (Our recommendation is to schedule this on your next to last day in the BVI.)
- Skip the customs line returning back to the USVI. When returning to the USVI, if everyone on board is a US citizen, you can use the Customs and Border Patrol application called ROAM. It’s available for Apple and Android devices. This is free and can be done from any anchorage in the USVI with decent cell service.
- There’s so much beauty to explore and it all starts in the USVI! Did you know our USVI-based boats can also sail to the Spanish Virgin Islands and St. Croix (restrictions do apply)? Embrace the history and beauty of these untouched islands all on one exciting journey.
Now that you know how simple and convenient it is to travel to the USVI, what are you waiting for? Schedule your charter and choose one of the luxury yachts from our fleet. Our expert charter experience specialists can guide you through the process and get you set up for the vacation of a lifetime. Don’t forget that when you book now, you can save big with 5 nights for the price of 7 in the Virgin Islands this Summer!